My biggest shock when having kids was that my house quickly became a complete disaster. Every. Single. Day.
When my house is messy, I feel very anxious, frustrated, and out of control. Before you start thinking I am crazy, you should know this is a real thing. Clutter is known to cause stress and depression. Checkout this article from Psychology Today.
Do you feel this way too? I imagine you do, even if you haven’t put your finger on it yet.
The following 5 daily rituals help keep the mess under control and my anxiety at bay (a little):
- Take out the trash – removing the garbage every night before bed will minimize exposure to bad odors in your home overnight. And, bonus, you won’t have to mess with a full trashcan during the chaos of the day.
- Run the dishwasher – if you wash dishes every night after dinner, you’ll sleep with a clean kitchen and wake up to favorite sippy cups ready to use!
- Wash a load of clothes – every night after bath time, throw in a load of clothes from the day and you will never have to spend a whole day doing laundry. I usually have one day a week when I wash sheets, towels, and whites, but that’s it.
- Pickup all the toys – ideally, pickup toys throughout the day as you play. When that doesn’t happen, pickup every night before bath time so the kids learn to help.
- Wake up before the kids – when you wake up before the kids, you have a chance to get ready without also trying to entertain. This helps keep my bedroom and bathroom tidier, and, more importantly, it gives me an opportunity to have coffee (uninterrupted) in a clean house.
Please note, all of these cleaning things happen at night or first thing in the morning. Stop by my house mid-day and you’ll think a tornado whipped through. It did, and its name is Jack-zilla.
What things do you do every day to help keep your pad in check? I love new ideas!